Wednesday 14 September 2011

Oulton Park - No Limits Track Day

Set off at 6:00am and the weather was terrible! As we got nearer to Chester the weather improved, and by the time we arrived everything had dramatically improved.
Knickerbrook.
Had a great day, first time at Oulton so took it easy to start with. The NC30 was great as always and I soon found my feet.
Last time out at Cadwell I didn't have a clue about the suspension setup, so I left it well alone. Today I started playing around a bit more. I made some changes to the front suspension, increasing the amount of rebound, this started to give me better feel.
Got down to 2min 10secs by the end of the day. Tyres look like they are working really hard, big blobs of rubber running off the edge of the tyres. I do need to think about my riding style a bit more, started to get the foot pegs down going through the chicanes.

Old Hall
The day went off without a hitch for me, however there was several incidents, with red flags and delayed sessions.

The faster bends are a bit scary, I need to get my head around Island bend, anything faster than 80mph and I'm a bit wiery. I spend too much time on the road where I'm not cornering that fast, and my timing just isn't there.


Clay Hill is blind and fast, but on the 400 I could go through flat out, just being carefull to keep left and not letting the bike drift over to the right edge.

Some people believe that the second chicane has spoilt Knickerbrook, but I really enjoyed throwing the bike through these sections. I would have probably been much more careful through the original layout.

Druids
Cascades was interesting, the front started pushing on the exist which didn't fill me with confidence. I need to look for a better line to help with this.

Druids was another place where the front causes concerns, however this was due to the camber changing and the front going light! A better line through this double apex right hander needs considering.

There is allot to take in for a first time out. Many bends are blind or unsighted, best to enjoy my day, think about it later and come back again for another go at improving things!

So for next time I need to think about the faster bends, look for braking markers and be braver. Consider my line through Cascades and Druids..... and have fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment