Thursday 8 March 2012

The Australian Pink Floyd - Halifax

Usually I buy tickets months in advance of a gig, all the waiting in anticipation can overshadow the show and I'm left a little disappointed. Sometimes unplanned, almost spontaneous evenings turn out to be really memorable... You know where this is going.



When one of my colleagues at work asked if I'd be interested in going to see The Aussie Floyd at the Victoria Theatre, Halifax (his partner didn't want to go) at the last minute I didn't hesitate. I've seen these guys before, probably 10 years ago at Bradford Georges Hall and had a great evening back then.


One Big Kangaroo!!
So me and Pink Floyd.... My first recollection of seriously listening to the Floyd was as a 16 year old stopping at a friends house in Up-state New York, we'd all got really drunk and someone put The Wall on, it left a lasting impression on me. I'd always been into music, but up until this point only listened to a couple of bands seriously (The Jam, Madness, The Specials, The Beat) and this was the start of me opening my ears to all sorts of diverse stuff! 


I soon got myself copies of 'The Wall (1979)', 'Dark Side of the Moon (1973)' and 'Wish You Were Here (1975)'. On returning from America my brother Lea and a couple of friends were shocked and surprised that I had started listening to things that were not being regularly played on the radio, which felt much more mature than the 3 minute verse, chorus routine. It was obvious that I was finding things out for myself and not following the heard.


I have to admit that I have played to death all the Floyd albums, and I do need to be in the right mood to listen these days. I like all 4 (my view) incarnations of the band, (1) Early Syd Barrett led stuff, (2) Everyone (without Syd) pulling together, (3) Roger Waters takes over and finally the (4) Dave Gilmore revival!


The obligatory circular screen
The tickets said 7:30pm, we assumed that the show would start at 8ish and had a drink at the Upper George, to our surprise when we arrived at 7:40 the show was already underway! Our tickets were for the front row, yes we were sat within touching distance with a great view and lots of leg room. It was a bit embarrassing walking right to the front and sitting down when the band had already started playing.


As I watched and the evening progressed my feelings of respect for the Band just increased ten fold. The music was played faithful to how Pink Floyd performed. It felt like the band were a 'Super Pink Floyd'. Two great guitar players who could handle the solos with ease (and do it faithfully), again the singing could have been swapped between 2 or 3 people. There are so many important moments that if not done perfectly would sound really bad, each one handled perfectly.


The lighting again was something special, even if you didn't know the music you could sit back, watch the images on the circular screen and take in the laser and lighting show.


The only concession away from the original Floyd was the occasional reference to Australia. The Prism being Australia shaped, the massive inflatable Kangaroo and the occasional reference to Australia on the backing tapes, these were acceptable and just made you smile.



Best moments, Great Gig in the Sky - 3 amazing singers doing the business. Shine on You Crazy Diamond - beginning guitar part. Wish You Were Here and Comfortably Numb - Singing along!


As evenings go it would be difficult to improve on this one. The band left stage for a 20 minute break and then played until 10:45am. 


After the show I couldn't thank Mike enough for letting me have the spare ticket, we both had a great evening and I'm sure we'll be seeing The Australian Pink Floyd again soon.


Click Here to see what Mike said about the gig - Full video of Comfortably Numb.

No comments:

Post a Comment