Monday 15 July 2013

Cadwell Park Track Day

We've been experiencing a heat wave for quite a while now so we set off to Cadwell knowing we were in for a hot, dry day. Over the last couple of years the weather hasn't inspired much confidence.

After signing on and sitting through the riders meeting I got ready for the first session. On the sighting lap a bike near the front was smoking badly, my visor was covered in an oily mist, so the track was getting its fair share of oil. The session was red flagged, after a short break we managed to get back out on track, only for me to find out that my bike was running on two cylinders.

l headed back to the paddock to try and sort it out. Initially it looked like the electronics had fried, part of the wiring loom had melted and the loom was a bit of a mess. We chopped out the problem wires and I went out in the second session only to find that we hadn't cured the problem, one slow lap and back to the paddock. We were a bit flummoxed, I asked around for advice, we swapped the coils and the problem didn't change still the back two cylinders. I started to trace all the electric connectors and found a couple that were partly undone. I reseated the connectors and the engine sounded better. By this time I'd missed the 3rd session so I was glad that out on track the bike was back to normal.

So l took it easy making sure the bike was all okay, looking forward to the 3 afternoon sessions.

In the break we helped a young guy with a CBR600 who was having mechanical trouble, he'd petty much gave up on getting his bike working, several people were giving him advice, but no one was rolling their sleeves up an helping. It was good to get stuck in and we soon found a fuelling problem. It was nice to get him running again.

In the afternoon I pushed hard and had 3 really good session. I think I know Cadwell pretty well now and I'm happy to "have a go" overtaking wherever a gap appears. In One session I nearly got shoved onto the grass going into Charlies 2, but it didn't bother me and l just kept on going.

I really enjoyed the afternoon, I must of been trying hard as I ached all week!

On the Way home I got pulled by the police, they had seen me in the outside lane with a trailer on! I was given the option of a''Driver awareness course" better than 3 points on my license.

No comments:

Post a Comment