Sunday 30 June 2013

The Levellers - Holmfirth Picturedrome

We got tickets for this sellout gig ages ago, ironically we had 5 tickets and everyone else cancelled, Andrea quickly asked around and we managed to use 4 of the tickets!

The Picturedrome is an ace venue, there are two balconies and a sloping floor to the stage, everyone gets a good view.

Our first encounter with The Levellers was as support for New Model Army when they were promoting their first album 'Weapon Called The Word', they blew NMA away and we were hooked. We've seen them dozens of times over the last 20 odd years. They have a great following and usually there's a great atmosphere at the gigs, their music is really made to be played live.


This time the band weren't promoting a new album so the set had a 'greatest hits' feel to it. I was happy to stand and watch the show but as time went on I struggled to stay still so by mid way through the set I had to push through to the front and jump about with the other devoted fans. Initially everyone was shoving me around, I was wearing my 46 Rossi T- shirt so most people thought I didn't know the music, however after a couple of numbers I was accepted, I know pretty much all the words to every song. It was pretty mad, I love slam dancing, it looks so violent but everyone is smiling, if anyone falls over there is an instant effort to get them back on their feet.

By the end of the night I was ringing wet with sweat and pretty knackered. Andrea joined me at the front for the last couple of songs, the band did several encores, they were surprised that everyone was so enthusiastic on a Sunday night.

Good times, can't wait foot the next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment